Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Smoldering Heart

If I wished hard enough and long enough, with all my might, on all the stars in the blessed sky, would it be enough to make my hopes come true? Would someone really walk into my life and set on fire the passion that resides in my heart? It would bring me something that fulfils more than just a need for love or passion, but would heighten me spiritually, mentally, probably even physically; it would lift the veil which shrouds the finer aspects of life from me.

Is it you? It could be. I don't know. I don't know you. We haven't met. There have been others, to be sure, who have flitted in and out of my heart, alighting for a brief second and leaving not even a footprint, and of course those whose graffiti is still carved there, tender and sore, a scar which will always mark the surface. But none of them were you. I'm sure you've felt the same.

Maybe you aren't someone I'm going to spend the rest of my life with. And that's ok. We'll just be an absurd formula of the right person evoking the right feelings at the right time. Beyond that, once the moment's past, we have no control. We either fight to keep what we had, or let it go and know that it was the best it could be while it lasted. Either way, we're going to need one another. I'm just waiting. I'm sure we'll recognise each other when the time comes; it'll be something in the emotions hiding in our eyes, or the way we hold ourselves, or the way we speak, but whatever it is, it will be unmistakable. We will be unmistakable. Undeniable.

No comments:

Post a Comment