Monday, January 31, 2011

The Alone

I watch you from afar, and wish I could be with you. Instead, I'm here alone. Yet, you are alone too; what sits in your heart has left an imprint on your face. You keep the Loneliness too. And when I recognise the look, I want to wrap my arms around you and hold you close. I hope you'd do the same for me. Too much to wish, I suppose.

We both wish for something we can be proud of; some achievement, something to show. I try and try and have nothing; you at least have something, memories of adventure and travel and magnificence. But you're confused, as well as I; which way do our hearts lead? Which path do we follow? There's something in the way of all potential paths. Why were we chosen for such a sad existence? I'm afraid we can never tell. As a wise wizard once said, 'all we have to decide is what to do with the time given us,' though it is hard to do anything of significance when your soul is burdened by some shadowy darkness. If I could, I would turn the page, begin another story, but lives, I'm afraid are not so simple to restart. You cannot leave behind who you are and all the things that built you. You yourself tried, and found that you had to return.

But we shall find something, shall we not. After all, we cannot sit on our lonely bench and share the delightful view with no one forever. Sooner or later, someone must come sit beside us.

No comments:

Post a Comment