Monday, June 7, 2010

Those We Once Were

I like to think sometimes that perhaps once, a long time ago, in ages past, we were different people in different lives. Perhaps friends were lovers, enemies were siblings and parents were strangers. I believe we bring some of these connections with us to this life, which is why friends fall in love, why siblings come to hate one another, and why parents can end up as mere strangers. This is why I like to keep thinking that there is hope for us still, because how can one give up those for whom their love runs deepest?

I like to think that we all had connections in another life, that we shall continue weaving our own stories around those of others. Perhaps we were residents in a small village, forced to work together to survive; perhaps we were aristocrats who found laughter over the rim of a wine glass; perhaps we were fish, swimming simultaneously in our great school to ward off predators.

.....or perhaps we were maple leaves who simply grew old together.

9 comments:

  1. if this is your own piece of writing
    its absolutely freaking brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  2. *blush*
    Thanks Sak, yeah it is my own piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, touching! Loving it, Mersini! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That post is so poetically written.

    That's what the Chinese think as well. They always believe that something must've happened in another life- so that's why people meet in the present and continue to make different associations and connections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naw, thanks guys!
    I think most of my posts will be written in that kind of way. If I'm gonna blog, I might as well make it good :P

    Interesting insight about the Chinese there Katie, I didn't know that. I mean this is just something I've always thought, you know, that the people you're with in this life are the ones that you knew in previous lives, albeit having different relationships with them. Although I do believe that you might not always come back with all the same people, but I think that there'd be at least some. I know a lot of people don't believe in reincarnation or past lives and all that sort of thing, but yeah, that's just how I feel about it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That text could so easily be included at the end of a movie ...it's so well written :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that idea. Now, to find someone who wants to make a film and include it. Hm... :P

      Delete