Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Only Things We Remember

The months went by and I didn't spare a thought for you. I've no doubt you did the same. But walking through a familiar place, seeing a familiar face, is as unexpected as awaking in Wonderland. The brain didn't register that you would still be around, that people didn't cease existing once they'd left a room.

So you caught my eye for half a second, while I pretended to be engaged in conversation with someone else. And now I wonder if I should have said hello. Now I wonder whether you really wanted me to. Your face was saying something, but I'm terrible at reading the map of someone's soul. And then the moment passed.

There are questions running through my mind, tripping over one another; like, 'can we transgress who we are?', and 'what was that look in your eye?'. But the biggest question I ask is 'am I seeing light where there is only shadow, because I don't want to admit that I'm afraid of the dark?'.

No comments:

Post a Comment